Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R8 vs Nikon F5 light metering
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 18:55:05 -0400

Pascal wrote:

<<<I thought you once said you  almost always used center-weighed or spot?>

Hi Pascal,
Yep still do. One or the other depending on the location of the shoot or
the light.

If I'm shooting colour slide material I predominantly use center weighted
as it gives me the kind of transparency I like. If I'm using neg-film, B&W
or colour I'll use the matrix only because in many cases it seems to give
you a slightly fuller neg. However if you use slide film it tends to
"overexpose" to my eyes and preference of slide saturation.

If I'm in doubt about the reading in the R8 viewfinder, I flick the lever
back and forth to see the difference in shutter speeds, then I'll decide
whether to make a different exposure or not.

As far as using spot, that is determined on the light and the location, ie:
stage or dappeled light in the forest and the details within the scene of
sunlit area is the more important.

matrix seems to always be my last choice, simply because I don't like the
transparency exposure it delivers.

ted