Subject: Re: [Leica] British <-> American translations
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 1998 09:02:20 -0800

Dave Munroe wrote:
> To me, the "features" are such things as mirror lock-up,
> TTL metering, and so on.  However, the "specifications" are the
> limits or bounds on any particular feature, e.g. for the TTL metering
> feature, the specification is that it has a sensitivity of EV 0 to 19.
> On the other hand, maybe I'm just not translating correctly!

If you look it up in dictionary you will find that the word parameter
more closely matches a "specification" such as EV 0 to19.  It delineates
the boundaries.  Specification, according to the Oxford English
Dictionary in front of me, is "The action of investing with some
specific or determinate quality; conversion to something specific."
Also, "A specific character, quality or nature."  So. 187 grams is a
specification.

Engineers have, perhaps to make themselves sound more techy, began
misusing the word.

And as long as I am on my soap box:  Two more words commonly misused:

Useage.  Useage is to use something for other than what it is originally
intended.  Like pounding nails with a Leica M.  Or putting a Leica in a
collection.

Oxymoron.  It means combining seemingly contradictory or incongruous
terms are conjoined so as to give point to the statement or expression.
The classic example is "silent thunder."  Or how about Cruel Kindness?

Such terms as "Military Intelligence" are contradictions in terms, but
are not used to make a point as in oxymoron.

Here ends the sermon--because it is time to go sailing.

donal

- --
Donal Philby
San Diego