Subject: [Leica] New M6
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 08:15:37 -0700

Just picked up a chrome demo M6 on Thursday, and am pretty excited about
it, having "thought about it" for a few years.

Despite tales of woe on the LUG regarding defective gear, mine appears to be
flawless, and I'm tickled to have TTL metering available. I'm probably going
to carry about the spot meter for awhile, 'till I can get a good feel for
how the M6 meter responds to various lighting conditions, and for all
critical work. But it's great to have the option, and though I don't think
I've ever forgotten to remove the lenscap, the flashing LEDs are a nice
failsafe. (My technique? I rarely cap a lens if it's out of the bag, ready
to shoot)

Compared to my M4, it does seem that Leica has considerably reduced the
amount of machining needed, especially milling (simplified knob grips,
stamped-metal(?) film counter dial, plastic rewind knob), plating (no more
polished chrome details)  and engraving (less of it, painted-on film loading
diagram, film speed dial). However, it adds a hot shoe, the aforementioned
metering, coin-free battery door, film plane indicator, finger guard around
the lens release, and winder couplings, so perhaps modernity has it's
advantages too! I have noted comments that new cameras are less adjustable
than older ones; hopefully, said non-adjustments are dead-on, in which case,
we have no problem.

If anyone wishes to acquire a clean set of M6 packaging (carton, clamshell,
baggie, adhesive plastic thing which covers the baseplate) please email me.

Jeff