Subject: Re: [Leica] New 75 Summilux
From: LEICAMAN56 <LEICAMAN56@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 10:49:41 EST

Frank,

I merely stated that this was my "guess".  Your theory is probably more
correct.  When I find out for sure, I'll let you know.

The "Noctilux" glass made by Leitz was made in small batches in the Leitz
Glass Research Lab in Wetzlar.  I saw it being poured there during a tour of
the factory in 1986.  It was in a small building behind the main factory
buildings.  Some years ago, the research lab was sold to Corning (France?)
during Dr. Frey's tenure at Leica.  Of course, this special glass was only
used for one or two elements in Noctilux.  I was told at the time that this
glass was also used in the construction of the 75/1.4.  Most of the glass used
in Leica lenses is purchased from glass suppliers such as Schott and Hoya,
either made to their specs or off the shelf.  It comes in the form of either
cylinders or blanks that are then ground and polished into finished elements
in Solms.

To the best of my knowledge, glass was never poured at the plant in Midland.
I just heard through a very good source that Canada is still producing some
lenses for Leica (although no specifics as to which ones).  They supposedly
even have the same aspherical lens forming machine that Solms has.

I'll get back to you with more details on the 75 later.

Bill Rosauer