Subject: Re: [Leica] What russian/east german lenses to buy?
From: aglang@sprynet.com
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 11:24:41 -0800 (PST)

Marc,

Have a question about the 50/1.5 Sonnar and it's Soviet clone.

Roger Hicks in his book "A History of the 35mm Still Camera" Focal Press 1984
ISBN 0-240-51233-2

In his brief blurb on the Sonnars:
"It was left to Zeiss to introduce a really fast triplet derivative. They did
this in 1932 with the f/2 and f/1.5 Sonnars. The f/2 has a single front glass, a
triplet centre, and a doublet rear, and the f/1.5 has a triplet rear. Because
they are still essentially triplets, with only six glass-air surfaces, they are
still adequately contrasty, but they pay for their simplicity in other ways. The
f/2 is a good deal more than acceptable, and by f/5.6 or f/8 the initially
rather poor edge definition sharpens up considerably. The f/1.5, on the other
hand, is sharp enough centrally but never really pulls in the edges"

There was an article in LHSA Viewfinder a while back (forget by who) on another
Sonnnar clone, the 50/1.4 Nikkor, in which the author describes the same problem
at the edges, even stopped well down.

Has this been your experience with the Sonnar and Jupiter?

Adam