Subject: Re: [Leica] What russian/east german lenses to buy?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 12:40:03 -0500

At 10:40 AM 3/30/98 -0500, B D Colen wrote:
>Marc - When you say "great" user lens, what do you mean? How good optically
>compared to modern Leitz lenses?

This cannot be answered unless you define more tightly what you mean by
"good optically".  That is, there are a dozen or so optical parameters to
consider.

The Russian lenses I referred to are clones of Prewar Carl Zeiss Jena
designs or developments of CZJ Topogons.  As such, the designs are rather
old, but the lenses are fine performers, especially at their low prices.
The wide-angle Russar and Orion, for instance, vignette, a function of the
Topogon design, but given that they run 1/6 or so the price of a current
Leica lens, this makes a fine choice for folks like me who rarely use wide
angles.  The Jupiter-12 will probably provide better contrast, less edge
drop-off, and more resolution than any but the latest 35mm Summicrons and
will do so, again, for 1/4 or so the Leica's price.

The 1.5/50 Jupiter-3 IS a prize lens by any standards:  it is a much more
satisfactory lens than any Leitz lens to the second version of the
Summilux, and is close to the Summilux in performance.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!