Subject: Re: [Leica] slide vs. print film for PhotoCD
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@instinet.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 13:37:01 -0500

At 27 Mar 1998 18:21:21 -0800, Francesco Sanfilippo <fls@5senses.com> wrote:

> I have always believed that slide film
> was the best for getting the ultimate image quality in a scan,
> but a PhotoCD expert I work with sometimes told me that
> color negatives scan MUCH better onto PhotoCD than slides!

That's the common wisdom.  Apparently, those CCD scanners (even the better
ones used for PhotoCD) have some troubles with the densest parts of the film.
This implies a limitation in shadow detail from chromes, and highlight detail
from negatives.  The former is more often likely to seem a serious loss, hence
the preference for negative material if scanning is known to be the film's
most important use.

> I was shocked, and today I bought a few rolls of print film (Kodak
> Royal Gold 25 and 100) in order to test his theory.

I haven't done exhaustive scanning tests (maybe the PhotoCD color-balance
channels are suboptimal with this emulsion), but if you're trying color
negative stock, may I make a recommendation:  give Fuji Reala a try before
settling on your final choice.  I've used the stuff for years (through one
Reala reformulation), occasionally comparing it to Kodak's current crop, and I
keep liking the way Reala looks the best among 100-speed color-negative films.

In the higher-speed realm (unsuited, I guess, for your hyperdetailed babe
photos), I've grown fond of Kodak PJM.  Dunno what `multispeed' is supposed to
mean, but it's nominally 640 speed with a true speed more like 500;  usefully
less grainy than Fuji's excellent CZ, nice color palette.