Subject: Re: [Leica] Roman Holiday
From: "Bruce R. Slomovitz" <brslomo@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 20:38:09 -0500

Paul,

On the trip which my wife and I made in September/October  to Bavaria, South
Tyrol, and Italy, I took an M6 with 50mm Summicron f2, and a Nikon with a
50mm f1.2, 35mm 2.8 and 80 to 210 zoom (f4).  I also took an SB16 flash for
the Nikon.

From your note, I gather we must be about the same age (I'm 50).  I can tell
you that I got quite tired lugging all that gear around.  Luckily we had a
car this time and didn't have to contend with busses and trains or other
public transport (with the exception of water transport in Venice).  My wife
is also not a photo enthusiast and I felt that it was unfair to burden her
with my gear.

I guess my advice to you would depend upon what interests you.  I'm very
interested in churches and I can tell you that in many Italian churches it
is very difficult if not impossible to use a flash.  In some, you are not
even supposed to take pictures at all.  so the M6 with a fast lens would be
good.  However I found the flash quite useful in people's homes and was glad
I had it.  I would say that if I had it to do over again, I would leave the
telephoto at home.  I think that if you're not shy about getting close, you
can do just fine with your 50mm.  I think for the exteriors of buildings and
for interiors as well, the wide angle is essential.

By the way, September is a wonderful month in which to visit Italy.  The
crowds have started to dissipate but it's still gloriously sunny and warm.

Buona fortuna,

Bruce S.