Subject: Re: [Leica] Soft Release
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 10:10:29 -0500

Tom:

This sounds very interesting. I have Fred Ward releases on my M2 and M4 and
love them. I've been looking for something for my M6. Perhaps you will be
able to make a "package deal" with your Rapid-Winder.

Cheers!

Ken Wilcox

>Dennis, I am working on a soft release design and when I have some time to do
>some experimental machining and can figure out the die for the thread I will
>do a couple of prototypes. The problem is that the design has to be such that
>it can be turned in one pass on an automatic turning centre ( Computer
>Numerically Controlled lathe) in large quantities and quite fast too ( you pay
>for these machines by the hour and some of the more sophisticated ones cost
>upwards of $ 700/hour to run.)
> The intial design is sketched out, diameter the same as the "cup" surrounding
>the release button, slight dome shape and knurling around the rim and black
>anodized. The trick is more of a financial nature, if the price is to stay
>under $10 retail, the wholesale must be around $7 and then the manufacturing
>cost has to be less than $3 ( add on for anodizing, packaging etc you will see
>there isn't much margin). If I start running these I will probably only
>wholesale them, with minimum orders of 10 or 50. The cost of packaging and
>shipping individual units would kill any profit otherwise.
> If any of you luggers have any idea on how to improve the design, please let
>me know. Remember, I am a photographer who got sidetracked into manufacturing
>and I have no formal training in machining, it is all trial and error and
>designs have to be simple to work well.
>Tom A

- ----
Ken Wilcox                             Carolyn's Personal Touch Portraits
LHSA, MEA, LAW                      preferred---> <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
                                                     <kwilcox@gfn.org>