Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 Meter Area
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 22:38:41 -0800

I guess I'm having trouble figuring out why this is a topic. I don't
mind... but I fail to see it's meaning. When you meter, unless it's a grey
card, or blue sky, or green grass, (a large solid color), there's a lot of
stuff in the area where the meter reads. The exact defining lines around
the precise metering area does not, at least to me, seem relevant. You put
a sample of what you think will average out to 18% grey in the center of
the frame and meter, then reframe and shoot. So where do the exact
percentages come into play, and who cares about a smidgen of difference
between infinity and close focus? I'm still at a loss as to the utility in
knowing the exact parameters. No matter what, when looking through the
finder, it's all guesstimating anyway. Mental interpolation that cannot be
precise. So do these percentages actually mean something to somebody?

Thanks,

Jim