Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 Meter Area
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 19:36:57 -0800

I'm at a loss here, understanding this percentage, infinity, close-up,
etc... metering area on the M6. When I look in my M6, with the shutter
cocked, no lens, I see a reflective circle painted on the shutter. The size
of this circle never changes, regardless of which lens is on the camera,
where it's focused, or even if it's focused. The film laying behind the
shutter is always the exact same size, regardless of all of the
aforementioned conditions, it's a 35mm frame of film. So, since the spot
size doesn't change, and the film size doesn't change, it sure seems to me
that the spot covers a particular percent of the film frame under ALL
conditions. Assuming that the frame lines in the viewfinder depict exactly
what is going to register on the film, in focus or out of focus, I fail to
see what the argument is. Could someone please enlighten me. Since, when I
meter with my M6, moving the camera, bringing in, or removing, bright areas
(or dark areas) from view, will give a pretty good representation of the
defining lines of the metering area. The leds go bright, dim, off,
depending upon where something moves, in the viewfinder.

It's probably best to use fuzzy logic. Imagine a center weighted fuzzy
circle within whatever frame line (lens) you are using, and you've got it!

Thanks,

Jim