Subject: Re: [Leica] lenses usage percentage
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 19:24:51 -0500

> ---Arnold Don Abravanel <arniea@loop.com> wrote:
> >
> > Can some of you explain their choices. It seems that for the most
> part the
> > wider is more popular. I was expecting to hear that the 50m would
> the most
> > used choice.

Arnold,

One of the strengths of the Leica M system is the intimacy it affords
with your subject. The shorter lengths contribute to this interaction.
The openness of the viewfinder and the close proximity allow for a real
opportunity to work together or be involved. When using the longer
lengths you're just too far away unless your doing tight head shots or
something similar. Also, the ability to handhold shorter lengths at
slower speeds, coupled with the lack of mirror slap, really allow you to
go to low light places where exciting photos are made. One of the things
I've found with my low light work, especially in black & white, is that
you have wonderful rich blacks which really help your subjects stand out
and makes for more dramatic images.

Carl S.