Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R or Leica M
From: Shawn London <srlondon@ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 18:44:47 -0500

>Because of the position of the viewfinder window, the Leica M is a right
>eye, left brain camera suited for Photojounalism and street photography.

Ted Grant,  myself and many other LUGers are happy M users despite our
left eye dominance.

>The Leica R system on the other hand is a left eye right brain camera
>suited for creative and contemplative work.

Attempting to pigeonhole either the M or R cameras does not do justice to
either of their capabilities.  While the M is better for wide angle
lenses (its mechanical rangefinder gives better focusing accuracy at
short focal lengths) and the R is definitely better for lenses over 90mm
(as well as wildlife/sport photography), ultimately, the photographer is
the limiting factor in getting good results from either system.