Subject: [Leica] To service or not to service?
From: Paul Kern <effeight@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 20:33:35 -0400

- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

Can any of you who have used the M6 for a long time and dealt with repairs
etc., please give me some advice:

1) Should I have my four year old M6 serviced (preventively?) even though
everything seems to work fine, except possibly for a small vertical
mis-adjustment of the rangefinder? I have probably shot fewer than 100
rolls. When I say a "possible" mis-adjustment, that is because the
misalignment may be within the specifications. There was some mis-alignment
already when the camera was new. The importer's repair-man placed the camera
in a rig, volunteered to adjust it, but maintained that it was already
within anything that he could do. I cannot say for sure that the
mis-alignment is worse at all than it was when the camera was new.

I am not sure which way to go: If it ain't broken, don't fix it; or, should
I have some nimble and highly competent hands take care of the mechanism's
need for soothing attention to prevent future damage or unreasonable wear.

2) If I should have some sort of service: What would be the best shop to do
it in the New Jersey, New York City area? Leica USA? Tamarkin New York?
Someone else?

__
Tore

In general, a camera that sees heavy use needs a CLA about every five
years. One that gets used so little needs it more often because the
lubricants congeal.
I usually have my leica work done by:

Professional Camera Repair
37 West 47 St.
New York, N.Y., 10036
Tel 212 382 0550

Ask for Herb. He's one of the owners and the Leica expert.