Subject: Re: [Leica] Which hood? 90 elmar c
From: Richard Ogden <rjo@provider.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 16:18:19 +0000

Steve,
Do you mean one hood which will work with both? The Leitz part number for
the 9cm hood is 12 517 the clip-in cap is 14 191. The hood for the 4cm
Summicron is 12 518 and although this would also fit the 9cm, it would
obviously not provide the same degree of hooding as the one specifically
designed for it, which is about twice the physical length. Since the 9cm
hood is quite markedly 'pinched-in' at the open end, I imagine you would
get a fair amount of vignetting if you used it on the 4cm, though I haven't
tried it.

The hoods have a screw base of M 39 x 0.75, and it may - though I doubt it
- - be possible to find some off-brand alternative or adapter ring which
would allow you to use a convertible rubber hood like the Hoya produces.
You'd probably see it in the viewfinder, however, and I think you'd be
better sticking to the 2 Leitz designed hoods.

Either way, good luck!
Richard
At 16:54 22/03/98 -0600, you wrote:
>I just bought a 90 elmar c with no hood ser #2603xxx. Is there a hood that
>will work with this lens and the 50 summicron # 2438xxx.
>thanks
>Steve

Richard Ogden
rjo@provider.co.uk