Subject: Re: [Leica] Filters
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 02:29:51 -0500

At 12:05 PM 22-03-98 -0500, B.D. wrote:
>One of the most refreshing things about this list has been the utter lack
>of flaming, until I apparantly foolishly asked the question about UV filters.
>
>Now, would someone out there have the kindness to tell me whether, in the
>real world, where images are being blow up to 11x14 on rare occassion, and
>more normally are in the 5x7 to 8x10 range, whether the image degredation
>caused by a good quality UV filter outweighs the peace of mind of having
>full-time protection for a piece of glass in the 800-1500 range? [snip]

Well, I tried to provide a balanced summary of what the LUG had hashed out
on this, to let you decide for yourself , but I can't stand by and watch
others try and shove the so-called "truth" down your throat.  So here is my
"truth":

UV Filters DO NOT DO ANY HARM TO YOUR PICTURES IN 99% OF THE SITUATIONS YOU
WILL BE INVOLVED WITH.  By all means, if you want to protect your lenses,
use a UV filter on your lens.  Don't worry about it.  If you are faced with
a situation where you think flare might be a problem, you can always
temporarily take the filter off.  Don't let the alarmists on the LUG get to
you.

Dan C.