Subject: Re: [Leica] Exposure range of commercial film
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 21:29:17 -0800

At 04:33 PM 3/22/98 -0500, you wrote:

>solve the same problem? Vis a vis the G1/G2, has anyone come up with work-
>arounds for the difficulty (?impossibility) of using graduated neurtral
>density filters?
>I would appreciate some help. Thanks Greg Ruskin

I have, and frequently use, ND grads.  .3, .6, and .9, soft gradation and
hard gradation. I use these filters with my R cameras and my 4x5 Linhof.
Useless on an M camera. The zone system books and Ansel Adams books will
give you the information you need for compressing and expanding negatives.
Another alternative, which I've used in the past, is using a Pyrocatechol
Compensating Developer. It has the uncanny ability of compressing a huge
brightness range into a printable range yet keeping clean whites and blacks
as well as all middle tones. I've used the Windisch formula and will send
you a copy of the formula if you are interested.

Jim