Subject: Re: [Leica] Filters
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 19:02:49 -0800

Mr. Colen,

Since you filter question was, and no fault of yours, untimely, I'll put
away my cynicism and politely answer your question. Just because you popped
in late, doesn't mean you don't disserve the truth.

>>At 04:14 PM 3/22/98 -0500, Craig W. Shier wrote:
>>
>>Conclusion,  the filter is on most of the time.  In tricky or
>>questionable lighting, off it comes.
>>
>>shier@mnsinc.com

Since Leica literature states "don't use ANY filter of ANY KIND during
these tricky and questionable lighting situations, and we all know Leica
put the UV inhibitor in the lens glue so you would NOT have to use a UV
filter, I'm having a very difficult time figuring out just when one should
use a UV filter.

If the answer is "for protection", I have to ask "what about the time
during tricky and questionable lighting situations, when a filter will
indeed, screw-up your photograph?" Perhaps protection is only needed during
the time when tricky and questionable lighting situations don't occur.
Great concept. Probably a bunch of pregnant women out there that wish they
had similar luck.

Usually, if shooting with an M camera, hand held, one does not stop an
think "is this a tricky and questionable lighting situation?", one just
shoots. If you are using an R camera, you can see the filter flare plain as
day through the viewfinder. It's in your face.

About the ocean and desert. Salt water is not, in any way, going to harm
your front lens element. I've lived by the ocean for 60 years with no tales
of "ocean lens woe." Brooks Institute is in Santa Barbara (an ocean kind of
town) and Brookies spend a lot of time along the water's edge. With view
cameras, Hasselblads, leicas, Nikons, and no UV filters.

What you need to protect, in a salt air or dust air environment, is the
INSIDES OF YOUR CAMERA and the INSIDES OF YOUR LENS. Salt air and/or dust
will not get into anything through the front lens element. It's sealed. The
UV filter does absolutely nothing. Clean your lens occasionally. What about
inside your camera. That's where the REAL DAMAGE IS DONE.

If you dropped your camera into a lake (or ocean), would you be worried
about the front lens element. Hell no! You would be worried about the WATER
INSIDE YOUR CAMERA. So if water can easily get into your camera, don't you
think salt air and dusty air can get there as well? Actually, it has a much
easier time getting in.

When photographing along the seashore or lakeshore, you have much more
reflected light. The sun reflecting from the water. This direct sun or high
contrast situation is EXACTLY the situation that Leica literature says "do
not use a filter". So you put on a UV filter to protect from the elements
(?) then have to take it off to photograph. Use a lens cap. It does it's
job and cannot possible screw-up your photograph.

I mostly use an R camera. I use lots of filters. Useful filters. But I
cannot use any filters during tricky and questionable lighting situations.
I know from experience. I know because I can see the problem directly on
the ground glass in the viewfinder. It's right there. In your face.

So, what are my thoughts about using filters? Glad you asked. Contrary to
popular belief, I use filters with my R camera almost most of the time. I
use filters when I need to alter the light in some way. Polarizer, warming,
cooling, ND, ND and color grad, soft focus, fog, enhancing. But as I said
earlier, there is UV inhibitor in Leica lens glue. So a UV filter is a
useless filter.

The best advice is:

Use real filters a lot. Don't use any filter in tricky and questionable
lighting situations. Throw away your UV filter. Use a lens cap and a lens
shade religiously. Keep your camera under wraps, when possible, in very wet
and humid or very windy and dusty situations. Your front lens element will
be fine. You should worry more about your camera body. Clean your camera
and lens often. Throw away your UV filter. It's absolutely useless.

Thanks,

Jim