Subject: Re: [Leica] m6 bag
From: "Bruce R. Slomovitz" <brslomo@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 09:51:42 -0500

Joe,

I have been pleased with my Billingham bag which I have had for several
years now.  Billingham have a variety of bags available.  Mine has removable
little bags on the ends of the main bag which attach with snaps.  These are
good for film, eyeglasses, a compass or whatever other small odds and ends
you may wish to stow there.

The part of the bag which rides next to your body as the bag is slung over
your shoulder has a zippered compartment which I find perfect for a
passport, airline tickets, subway maps, etc.  The bag itself opens with a
zipper across the top.  There is a flap which covers this to keep out rain
and dust.  There are loop handles on either side which snap together with a
leather closure and of course an adjustable shoulder strap.

The bag is canvas, which makes it naturally waterproof. It comes in tan and
one or two other colors.  It's incredibly well made and is neither rigid nor
as limp as the domke bags (I also have a domke satchel which I find perfect
for carrying just one Leica, some film, and a cleaning cloth) and affords
just the correct amount of protection.  The best thing is that it does not
look like a camera bag.  It looks like it could be a small overnight bag.
It fits easily under an airline seat or in the overhead of the smallest
commuter plane.

There are inserts available which attach to the inside with velcro and serve
to isolate bodies, lenses, etc. from one another.  Mine handles two bodies
with lenses attached, a flash, and a small telephoto lense.  I usually carry
a Leica, a Nikon F3, an SB-16 flash and a telephoto zoom.  Naturally it
would be great for just Leicas.

The drawback is that they are quite expensive and difficult to find except
in places like NYC.  My once favorite store in the Washington, D.C. area
(Industrial Photo) has stopped carrying them since I bought mine.  However
some high-end stores could order one for you, I'm sure.

Bruce S.