Subject: [Leica] Re: Hollywood Moss Photo / Neal
From: Leikon35 <Leikon35@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 21:53:50 EST

<<
 Marvin-
 Beautiful shot- reenforces that there is more to good photos than just the
 latest lens.  The scan showed up very nice on my monitor.  I checked the
 properties and was surprised that you got the tonal range you did with only
 11K.
 -Neal

Thanks Neal - That is one of the many things that I have more to learn.
Both Alf Breull & Bob Rose have given me some help & their concensus
seems to be that I would need at least 30K to achieve any decent quality
in that size. I think Alf uses about 6k for a thumbnail & then jumps to 40K.
Any advice would be appreciated.

 Marvin

 I am still using my old HP flatbed scanner & the resulting TIF format has
 to be reduced in physical size & then chaged to JPEG format and results
 in a significant loss of quality.  I was appalled when I saw how poorly it
 had turned out.

 I guess I will eventually have to go to a negative scanner as I am reluctant
 to ask for help of the LUGgers.