Subject: Re: [Leica] Velvia vs. Provia - what's the verdict?
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 15:16:32 -0800

Gruess Gott Dieter!

Sorry to hear about bad weather there in the Neckar valley. But spring
along the river is certainly worth the wait. For some great people shots in
the Marktplatz or at the punt races, try Fuji's Astia (100 ASA).

I like Velvia for the green, green landscapes here on the Northcoast of
California. However, I tried some Astia a while back with 50mm Summicron
and 90mm Tele-Elmarit M lenses. Skin tones and shadow detail were
beautiful, with none of the tendency towards reddish cheeks that Velvia
sometimes gives. I was really pleased with the results, and the projected
images drew some nice compliments at the local camera club. As a totally
subjective comment, there seems to be a special skin-tone glow to Astia
that mixes really well with sharp Leica optics. Anyone else been using
Astia? I don't have any experience with Provia.

BTW, speaking of the Tuebingen Marktplatz, the last Viewfinder issue has
one of my black & white photos of a street vendor taken there in 1968.
Actually the picture is kind of an ugly orange and white. It was submitted
as a slide at LHSA Charlotte.  I had copied the print to slide with
photoflood lighting, giving an interesting sepia-like tone that projected
fairly well. But it sure printed as a weird shade.

Dieter, did you ever decide on which M camera to get? Greet the owner of
Foto-Schnell there in Tuebingen for me. The 28mm Elmarit that I bought
there is still in great shape 30 years later.

Gary Todoroff
> From: Dieter Stoll <
> Hi all,
> anyone have comments on these two fine reversal films (other than Velvia
> being 50 and Provia 100 ASA)? I haven't had too much of a chance to try
> either with my new Leica gear, weather just plain S*CKS around here....
Any