Subject: Re: [Leica] Snow scene exposure
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 23:04:10 -0700

For snow, I generally wait 'till the powder stops falling, and meter as
follows:

- -For snow not directly lit, or where I want to clearly emphasize texture,
I'll open up one stop from the meter's recommended reading

- -Where I want to retain some granular detail, but wish to suggest some
brilliance, I'll expose 2 stops over the meter's recommendation.

- -Where I want it to look dazzlingly sunlit, but not totally devoid of
detail, I'll go 3 additional stops. I try to avoid further overexposure,
save for relatively small picture elements which need not show significant
detail.

Side- and front-lit trees and hills can look dramatic against a blue
sky--the reflectance of the snow is such that by comparison, the sky looks
exceptionally rich and dark.

I am still puzzling over how to capture a really effective image of falling
snow!

Jeff