Subject: Re: [Leica] 50 Summilux
From: Steve Hickel <smhickel@iserv.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 00:15:51 -0500

Van,

I too have a 50/2.8. I like this lens. Even with the hood on it, which I
leave on it to protect the lens without filter, it takes up little pocket
space.

I guess the main question could be, what film do you shoot and can you use
creative processing to obtain the f-stop that you seek? If not creative
processing, then another film? If this is too much of a comprimise then I
might suggest the 35/1.4 or 2.0. Here you will get your f-stop or so and
also get more flexibility in format too. Food for thought.

Steve

BTW, I put up a photo of my cousin's family on my bar to remind me of the
quality of this lens. The photo is shot with the family between two wall
lights with about three bright and lit flame bulbs. The effect these lights
have and the no-flare natural light photo is a favorite shot with that lens
(on color film no less).

At 10:54 PM 3/15/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Fellow LUGgers,
>
>I am currently using a 50 Elmar collapsible.  It's a great lens, and its
>size lets me pocket the camera and take it places I probably wouldn't
>otherwise.  Only problem is that I often miss the larger apertures, so I'm
>considering buying a second, faster 50, for use indoors.  I've never heard
>a bad word about the Summicron, but it seems a little silly to buy one just
>for one extra stop.  I could sell my car and buy a Nocti, but my real
>question is, what about the Summilux?  In several months of dilligent
>reading of the LUG, I don't think I've ever heard it mentioned.  What does
>the LUG think of this lens?  Does anyone ever use one?  Any comments would
>be greatly apprectiated.
>
>Van

                                            \:|:/
                                            (o o)