Subject: Re: [Leica] Update Tri-Elmar
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 14:18:05 +0100

Hello LUGnuts:

I just stopped handling and using the Tri-Elmar (directly flown in from
Solms). It is still a prototype, so please no real picture taking.
To my surprise the lens is smaller than expected. It is smaller than the
current Elmarit-M 90 and slightly bigger than the Summicron. I would guess
that it comes quite close to the former Tele-Elmarit-M. The changes from 28
to 50 and 35 are very smooth and quite effortless. Only the 28mm click has
a small but noticeable feeling.   Distances are from 1 meter and the ring
works again very smoothly. No stiffness here at all.
On the HM the 28 click shows the 90mm frame.
Leica people whispered in my ear that the performance would be better than
that from the current compact zooms for the R8. It that were true, this
lens would a instant success.
It gives the M series a new life and brings picture taking capabilities to
the M, that were the province of SLR users and now with brillant optical
performance.
As usual leica lenses are not jacks of all trade and are designed and
computed for a designated purpose. Do not lament the f4.0. It is sufficient
for most outdoor photography and would be the perfect companion with a E200
film. After handling it, I think this lens is ideal for general, holiday
and reportage work where a compact but flexible outfit outweighs the quest
for ultimate optical performance. Switching from 28 to 50 is very fast and
easy and would be very helpfull in dynamic and 'close-combat' photography.
If the optical properties are as promised, this lens is number two on my
wishlist.

BTW: Ilford people acknowledged the 3200 delta and a n improved version of
XP2.
For me however PanF plus and 100Delat are the upper limit. But that is a
different story.

Erwin