Subject: Re: [Leica] What happened ? (was: M6 J ... / crashed angel ...)
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 21:17:29 +0100

>The numerous quality control problems---of new or near new Leicas  that
>are discussed on the LUG these days---did not (at least in my memory)
>occur during M3/M2/M4 production.   How do you account for this in the
>"newer is better" made argument?    When Murphy's law goes into high
>gear at Leica, what are consumers to think?

I just put a question mark on the availablity of facts here ("my
memory"...). Certainly in these days there was not an Internet with which
to announce worldwide and immediately any defects/problems.
I just do not know what happened in these days. I do know that very
reliable repair resources who repair hundrends of leicas every year find
the M6 in general trouble free till today (not one statistically
significant fault) and will note recurrent problems with older types.
Again I have more figures, but I am quite reluctant to present any of it,
because I too scientifically minded. A conclusion is quickly drawn, but not
always tenable in the light of experience.
Erwin