Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens coating colour
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 09:04:47 -0800

At 01:01 AM 3/14/98 +0100, you wrote:
>A question for the cognoscenti among you. The coating on the front element
>of my 50 summicron (latest) and 28 elmarit (latest) is red, but that on my
>new 90 elmarit is green. Why is there a difference?
>
>Neil Frankish

Wide angle light is shifted toward blue. Because it's coming in from such
an angle, the red component is lost. So red is added via the coating.
Telephoto light doesn't get bent so much. It has a fairly straight through
path, so no red is added to the normal green coating. Or perhaps, in your
case, you bought the 50 & 28 around Christmas time. Leica was in a festive
mood.

Sorry, the lack of LUG messages this morning made me a little silly.

Jim

ps... coating is a very complex chemical ion deposition process. The color
you see is simply the reflective color of the particular process they used
at that particular time. Manufacturers change the make-up of their coating
depending upon the season. No no... sorry. They do change coating formula.
I'm not sure why, perhaps Erwin can elaborate.

:-)