Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:RE
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 19:28:18 -0600

At 12:17 AM 3/12/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I enjoyed using an R-E for about a year. Absolutely fine. But I heard so
>many times, "Oh, you've got the stripped-down version." Always that term,
>"stripped-down" -- as if Leica left off the take-up spool and shutter
>curtain to cut down on costs. Finally I couldn't take it any longer, so
>traded it for an R3 in 24-karat gold plate.

:-)

Good one. In fact, in Rogliatti's book "Leica the First 70 Years" he says
that unlike earlier cameras that Leica made to be "economy" models, the RE
was not made in the same sense. It was just left simpler than the R5 for
those people who didn't want shutter priority and program modes. In all
other ways, it's identical to the R5.

Is the M6 a stripped down model? No! Neither is the RE.

I don't want one simply because the R7 has more features I like, and the
R8's better than the R7. I have an R4sP because it was cheap.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

I disagree with unanimity.