Subject: re: [Leica] 85MM F1.4 Nikkor
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 11:19:32 -0500

At 08:55 AM 12-03-98 -0600, you wrote:
>> My AIS lens has 9 blades.... what about the AF Lens?
>
>Also 9. Sorry about that; guess next time I should check before suggesting
>there's a difference.
>
>So I did check my statement that the optical design of the AF lens is new.
>According to literature I have, the AF lens is 9 elements in 8 groups, the
>AIS is 7 elements in 5 groups. Having never used the AIS version, I don't
>know what difference there is (if any) in photos produced.
>
>Larry

Keeping this on topic, one of the main reasons I am keeping my Leica
75/1.4, and may end up selling the Nikkor 85/1.4, is that the Nikkor seems
to be very prone to flare in certain situations (mainly studio flash
setups).  I have heard this from other users of both the AIS and AF
versions as well.    The Summilux, on the other hand, appears to be one of
the best lenses I have for being flare free, and besides, takes a very
beautiful photograph in terms of bokeh at f2.8, my most common shooting
aperture.

Dan C.