Subject: Re: [Leica] Photographers named in Diana even
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 10:23:05 -0800

Eric Welch wrote:

> As for shooting a wider array of assignments than newspaper photographers,
> there ain't no way.

Eric,
I constantly shoot a wider, much wider, array of assignments than
newspaper photographers.  I shoot three formats (often on the same job)
including 35, 67 and 4x5.  I range from natural light to ten lighthead
setups.

I just returned Sunday from a week in both the Sea of Cortez and the
Pacific Ocean side of Baja California on a small expedition ship
shooting a travel story for the New York Times on ecotourism (and yes, I
got to pet a whale).  I shot a building yesterday.  Have to shoot 4x5
macro work of candy later this week.  Heading soon to Seattle to help
engineer a lighting setup on photoboat so we can "help" daylight in
Seattle weather to inprove production of boat shots on the water.
Recently shot in a clean room wearing all the gear.  Will soon be on a
container ship strobe lighting the wheel house, the engine room and life
aboard while on an ocean passage.  Just shot bunch of advertising
specialty items like key rings and fly swatters and refrigerator
magnets.  Shot a magazine cover of kids and dog on a boat in marina.
One executive portrait for medical magazine.  Did catalog of medical
products that keep cathetors (sp?) in place.

Few newspaper photographers I know could handle such diversity,
especially the critical lighting and shooting on transparency film.

There are a few--and well treasured by the papers I am sure--who can,
but few.  I remember the revelation I had one day realizing that I was a
"journeyman" in the craftsman sense that I could make a usable picture
of just about anything, anywhere.  Maybe not great art, but I could get
the job done.

Now the goal is to specialize more in location work and people, but
bringing along all the diversity of knowledge, experience and technical
acumen and applying them in a more narrow range of subjects and continue
enhancing the "art" part.

Anyway, this is diagree-with-Eric week (didn't you check your
calendar?)  so I figured I'd get my part done!  There, I feel better.

donal

- --
Donal Philby
San Diego