Subject: Re: [Leica] Photographers named in Diana event
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 1998 19:58:20 -0500

At 06:29 PM 08-03-98 +0000, you wrote:
>> I guess not.  From what you are implying, it is very sad that the great
>> have to stoop so low.
>
>What's 'low' is the perception of a profession that's based on disdain,
pre-conception
>and arrogance. Fulfilling the requirements of an assignment is not
"stooping", it's
>what a photographer does. [snip]

If a photographer has to hide in the bushes to snap a photograph of some
celebrity bringing in the newspaper, he is "stooping".  You may call it
"fulfilling the requirements of an assignment";  hired killers also
"fulfill the requirements of an assignment".  But I think this is insulting
to the vast majority of working professional photographers.

>photography and the ridiculous, toddler style demands we work under. I
personally
>don't see the distinction between covering the gum targets in Grand
Central (a
>friends assignment for the NY Times) and getting the star shot at the movie
>premiere. I certainly don't see the seperation of journalist from
non-journalist in the
>above, but guess which one required the press pass...

Getting the star shot at the movie premiere is not the same as hiding in
the bushes.  No celebrity would object to having their photograph taken as
they step out of the limousine.  This is not the same as being followed by
photographers as they take their children to day-care.

Dan C.