Subject: Re: [Leica] Breaking in focus
From: nfrnkish@dux4.tcd.ie (Neil Frankish)
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1998 23:36:05 +0100

I asked this same question a couple of weeks back, though I didn't see any
replies. I bought a 50 Summicron in Dec 97. It was a little stiff, but also
had a rough part when focussing at near distaces. A year later (light
amateur use) it is very very smooth, perfect over all the range. My new 28
and 90 Elmarits, particularly the latter, are very stiff, and judging by my
experience with the 50, they will take at least three years to loosen up.
Another factor is that the focussing threads are inside the barrel of the
lens with the 90 Elmarit, and consequently painted black, perhaps
contributing to the stiffness.

Perhaps the recent debate about buying new verses old should be extended to
lenses: a good or mint lens might at least be "broken in".

A couple of times, while watching TV, I've sat with the 90 and turned the
focussing ring back and forth for half an hour or so.....

Neil.