Subject: Re: [Leica] Films
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 10:12:55 -0500

I find most people shooting the B&W chromogenic films are more interested in
getting the film developed at a reasonable cost, and 'proof' prints that can
be obtained at any one hour lab. The B&W labs here are outrageously
expensive, and only one seems to have any concept of tonal control.
If you are careful ( with the contrasst of subject material), the C41 films
have a pretty good tonal range, and if the photofinisher bothers to set up
the color printer channel for the film, the results are quite good on color
paper.
T400CN ( we call it T-MIN...as opposed to T-Max... minimum color? okay,
we're weird!) is better than XP2, IMHO. The addition of the color mask
improves the tonal rendition. It also makes it more "B&W" when printed on
color paper. The slopes for this film is very similar to the new Kodak Gold
200, so it there are any under or overexposed frames, they stay Black, White
or Gray rather than drifting into a blue toned or sepia colored prints when
printed on color paper.
I have not tried to print it on B&W paper, but with the incorporated mask, I
would think that it would be best to use Panalure or a graded paper; it
seems to me that the mask might give unpredictable results with variable
contrast paper without extensive testing.

dwpost@msn.com