Subject: Re: [Leica] Goggled 21mm conversion
From: TTAbrahams <TTAbrahams@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 20:33:15 EST

Bob, as the person originally responsible for the "goggled" 21's I can
probably answer your questions. I am waiting to go to the airport for a flight
to Rome so this will kill some time.
 The original design used a 21/3,4 S-A, I had a couple of these converted by
Reinhold and liked it very much. Reinhold and I then decided to do the 21/,2,8
Elmarit. This one is big, but not unusably big. The hood does interfere
somewhat but it is till highly usable. Of course the 21/3,4 blocks the meter
cell in the M6, while the 21/2,8 allows full use of the cameras metering.
Reinhold usually changes the bayonet to kick in the 28 frame in a M4P or M6.
With the M4P/M6 you get slightly less than the 21 mm, there is a
antireflection mask that cuts off a bit. I tend to use my 21's on M4's or
M2's, you get the full frame, "What you see is what you get". I also cover up
the small cutout on the goggles that lets light in to the frameline
illumination window. Then you have NO framelines to distract you, only the
focussing patch and the full frame of the viewfinder.
 The goggles used are those from the M3 35 Summicron and it involves some
machining of the mount to fit ( particularly the 21/2,8). I have used these
converted lenses since we started doing them and would not use a top mounted
finder again.
 The 21/2,8 Asph can be modified ( I had mine goggled last year and it is
going to Rome today, probably will be the main or secondly most used lens
there, only competition is the 35/1,4 Asph). The 21/3,4 is smaller, but, and I
never thought I would say this, the 21/2,8Asph is better !!!
 Well, the hardship of travel, sunshine, red wine and pasta beckons, as well
as meeting fellow LUGgers in Rome, so I better head to the airport.
 I will be back in a couple of weeks and if you have more questions, either
talk to Reinhold  or contact me.
 Ciao!
 Tom A