Subject: [Leica] Fleeing to the "land of the Ted"
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 17:26:17 -0500

Pete Meyers wrote:

<<<I have my North Face Expidition Down Parka upstairs - Everest Rated. I
have my Steger Mukluks catalog sitting next to me. If Ted would just clue
me in on COLD weather shooting, I'll just start heading for the border!>>>

Pete,

Save the heavy duty cold gear and come to Victoria where the sun shines
lots and El Nino is giving us incredible warm weather! :) But after you
leave the island and go north baby, you're on your own! I don't do snow &
cold any more! :)

Kinda tough on the forehead at 50 below zero holding a metal camera to your
eye. I mean there isn't much of a brain in behind the skull structure and
when you hold that M6 or R camera to your head for very long you just
develop blue cold vision and die! :) Well OK brain dead.:)

Now that I opened the door on the subject, please don't trash me guys about
already being brain dead! :) I know that, it's from drinking developer with
fix chasers! :)

OK back to Leica. In the north I always kept my cameras inside my parka and
had velcro tape sewn up the front of the jacket so I didn't have to unzip
and zip, only had to pull the jacket open shoot and close again quickly.

It works for awhile, but the cold eventually catches up to you after a few
hours. So I gave up on winter assignments and follow the warm sun when I
can. That's why I rarely go east of the rockies after the end of October.:)

But Pete your welcome to come to Ted'sland and do all that winter stuff. As
I can assure you it's big time exhilirating when you step out of your hotel
into 40 below and the wind is doing a "cool" 40 mph.:)

You are sucking air like crazy and and the film goes brittle in the camera
and snaps off as you try to advance. It's fun time! :)

And that's when you see the blue eyed monkeys going around singing saprano!
:)

ted