Subject: Re: [Leica] Fleeing to the "land of the Ted"
From: dannyg1 <dannyg1@IDT.NET>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 1998 02:27:59 +0000

Pete,

>You can run a Princess off the road trying to get her
> photo and in the process kill her, but try to take a picture of a tree and
> some one wants to nail you for it.

Though I'll never achieve popularity for this, I would _love it if you wouldn't
perpetuate the 'Hard Copy' version of the accident described above. If the Feinstien
legislation hasn't convinced you of the hazards that we (USA'ers) all are subject too
because of the myth, the latest ill-will between the public and street photographers
absolutely should.

Leica M photographers are, very often, working in the style of HCB. Doing that in
these days is getting more and more dangerous (at least 7 assaults that I've read about
in the last 30 days and countless moments of being personally harassed, for no
reason, in the last 30 days).

In my life, I've yet to encounter an 'abusive' photographer.

Twice in the last two years, I've politely asked celebrities I've seen on the street (D.
Sutherland and H. Keitel) if I might shoot a photo of them. Both times I was told
no. I complied but what if it was my reputation on the line? If celebrities did not
run from the photographers who are assigned (by media) to cover them (and get the
photo, or never work for that rag again), the 'danger' level would be zero.

I've been actively trying to educate on this subject for a very long time and, I'm
telling you as bluntly as I am because the threat is real: It is your own safety, and
mine, this populist perception endangers.

The general public has been conditioned by the TV movies for years, to think of
photographers as criminals. If we help perpetuate that 'ideal', whom do you blame
when the outraged throng comes for you?

Danny Gonzalez