Subject: Re: [Leica] Q: Best Small Tripod?
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@mra-inc.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 11:30:09 -0600

Jim,

I couldn't agreee with you more. I used  to own a large, heavy Bogen tripod
that I dreaded taking out of the closet and hated lugging around. Then I
bought the Gitzo 1228 and an Arca-Swiss ball head. Spending that much money
on a tripod, at the time, was quite painful. But this combination is so
light to carry and easy to use, and now gets so much use because of that,
it's proven to be one of my wisest photgraphic investments.

Larry

Jim Brick wrote:

My favorite small-ish but very lightweight tripod is the Gitzo carbon 1228.
Fits in RollAboard (and other) carry on luggage, is very stable, even when
fully expended (not using the centerpost). George Lepp did tests on
numerous tripods and the Gitzo carbon tripods ranked at the top. Very light
weight and very sturdy.

Yes, it's expensive. So is Leica. However, if you are going to go to the
trouble to carry a tripod and use it, it should be substantial enough to
handle whatever you intend to use it for.