Subject: Re: [Leica] 15mm origins
From: dannyg1 <dannyg1@IDT.NET>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 22:12:18 +0000

Marc,

> It's spelled "Zeiss", not "Ziess".  And I don't believe Pentax had a thing
> to do with the lens;  please note that Zeiss had to design both of their
> lens mounts (M42 and K) for them.

Surely you're not suggesting that Pentax designers are charlatans? There was a
collaboration between Zeiss and Pentax and that collaboration shows evidence of
having produced more than the K2, the K mount and SMC multicoating. The
15/3.5, 28/2, 135/1.8 and some other lenses are roundly thought of as being a
product of the relationship. The 15 and the 28 are both optically identical to later
produced Contax products and, it would seem to me that Zeiss would not
compromise their pride  by releasing 'copies' of Pentax designed lenses.

Considering your expertise in all things Zeiss, you're the first person I'd ask about
the Pentax/Zeiss marriage (and divorce). If it's all a fairy tale, I'd be interested to hear
the specifics but even Leitz author Jim Lager is interested in deciphering the details
of the story, which he believes to be true (As you know since I was asked by him to
contact you in reference to it).

Can you say absolutely that Pentax had nothing to do with the Zeiss/Leica/Pentax
15mm?

Regards,
Danny Gonzalez