Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: R7/8 flash
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 23:42:47 +0100

On 23-02-1998 22:33 Alastair Firkin wrote:

>Usually when Leica has used a newer system, it has had backward
>compatibility. Are you saying that the newer 3501 adaptor will not work on
>the R7 and give it its limited range of flash option in comparison to the
>R8?
>
>I have another flash question. When I put my MD flash gun on the R7, it
>automatically changed the speed setting to 100, though the other Auto
>features were of course not there. On the R8, it is my reading that it can
>measure and adjust flash via alteration of the aperture with any flash gun.
>If I use my Ring flash (designed for the Minolta X700) on the R8, would it
>be able to run as a TTL flash unit, and can the R8 perform flash readings
>for macro work with a not SCA flash unit such as I own?

Hello Alastair,

sorry for the late answer. Too much work to check all my mail...

I am not sure whether the new 3501 adaptor will work on the R7. I believe
Lucien has posted some experience on this issue last year, but I don't
recall exactly. In my Metz manual they say that the flash unit will work
with both SCA 300 and SCA 3000 adaptors, but that you need to switch
adaptors according to your camera model.

I am not much of a flash expert, but I think the R8 should be able to
work with your ring flash running as a TTL flash unit, in the R8's F mode
(integrated flashmeter).
Anybody knows the specifics on this?

Pascal

t h i n k    d i f f e r e n t                 a p p l e