Subject: [Leica] Re: R7/8 flash
From: firkin@netconnect.com.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 08:33:39 +1100

> For your R7, you will need the SCA 351 adaptor instead of the SCA
> 3501
> system. The R7 uses the analogue SCA 300 system, the R8 the digital
> SCA
> 3000 system which is more modern and gives more elaborate functions.

Pascal,

Usually when Leica has used a newer system, it has had backward
compatibility. Are you saying that the newer 3501 adaptor will not work on
the R7 and give it its limited range of flash option in comparison to the
R8?

I have another flash question. When I put my MD flash gun on the R7, it
automatically changed the speed setting to 100, though the other Auto
features were of course not there. On the R8, it is my reading that it can
measure and adjust flash via alteration of the aperture with any flash gun.
If I use my Ring flash (designed for the Minolta X700) on the R8, would it
be able to run as a TTL flash unit, and can the R8 perform flash readings
for macro work with a not SCA flash unit such as I own?

Thanks for the "teething" help,

Alastair Firkin,