Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:Is It illegal to use a tripod without a License???????
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 08:07:09 -0800

At 07:40 AM 2/27/98 -0500, you wrote:
>About my triipod in Rome.  The guys were standing around and they used three
>fingers of one hand and one finger of the other to wiggle a no, no.  Hell I
>was on tour bus, how can you take professional photos riding a tour bus.
>
>Clifton

You never told us who the guys were? Uniformed police or just guys standing
around? What was their authority? Did you ask them to prove their
authority? Most of the time, when non-authority figures are questioned,
they back off. If they had no authority, they're used to getting no
resistance from tourists. There are numerous stories I could tell about
authority/non-authority in Italy.

Stop and think. Where are Bogen tripods made? Italy. You don't think
Italian amateur photographers use tripods? Is it possible that they all
have to buy a "tripod permit"? Things could have changed over the past few
years, but this sounds more like tourist harassment or scam.

There is occasionally someone living in Italy here on the LUG. I would like
to hear from them if they are still around.

Jim