Subject: RE: [Leica] Re:Leica Basketball and wedding
From: "Fantoni, Ernesto" <Fantoni@PHIBRED.COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 08:14:23 -0600

Thanks for the very detailed answer Harrison.
	Just few points more:
	>By the way I was using an R6 for the basketball shots not the
M6.  I
	>would not even attempt any sport using an M camera.
I don't even think to use an M for sports either. Simply I left AF and
other gizmos and went for Leica (M in my case) when I realized my
concentration was sucked by all that displays and motors.I've never shot
sports.
Today, who starts to get interested in photography, receives an
aggression by most of magazines, forums, ads and it seems the real must
in photo is AF (better if multipoint).Your pictures confirm it's not
true (at least not always) even in the most natural field for AF, fast
moving subjects.
And I'd add a recent experience I had:last Saturday Guido Ridoli and I
shot a wedding. 3 weeks ago I asked for an help and many LUGers replied
with useful tips and personal experiences (BTW many thanks to all).
Somebody told with AF cameras and zooms is much easier to shoot at
weddings, much less wrong shots, etc,etc.We shot with some Ms an R8 and
a Nikon F3 and these was our first wedding after many many years (of
course we aren't pros). You can imagine our emotion:"We'll be deleted
from the list if we fail"we said each other, and dedicated a special
prayer to the god of the "decisive moment". He listen to us because when
Guido, trembling, went to the lab to take the negs and the contact
prints there was a local pro, specialized in weddings. He asked for
taking a look to the prints. After few eternal seconds he came up and
said:"Have you recently moved to this town? I don't remember you among
the local wedding photographers."
In few words 95% of the negs are well esposed and in focus: no AF, no
hi-end electronics, no computers (just 2 flashes in M mode) a lot of
passion and dedication (we went to the church one week before to shoot
some rolls) and some luck, of course.
We are happy LUGers.

Ernesto