Subject: [Leica] M6 finder ghosts/smudge
From: "Robert Ardinger, Jr." <rardinge@KUHUB.CC.UKANS.EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 22:49:04 -0600

I noticed something a bit odd while working with my 6 month old M6.
Everything about the camera appears to work just fine but last night I was
photographing a subject that had a strong point light source and briefly
noticed what appeared to be a white, somewhat bright smudge in the finder
window.  After some investigation, I found that a strong point light had to
be coming into the finder from the upper left side of the viewfinder (upper
left while looking through the finder) for the "smudge" to show up. The
"smudge" is only visible when the light is coming in from the side.  For
usual subjects it is not visible. I thought it was a flare relection but it
is too constant in it's pattern.  It only changes in intensity not in shape
when the light is moved around.  The "smudge" appears in the mid to lower
right side of the viewfinder.  The "smudge" image does not appear to
"float" causes the "smudge" to dissapear. Cleaning all exterior surfaces
does not change anything.

My question is, Has anyone else seen this in an M6?    Could I have a true
smudge on one of the viewfinder's glass pieces or is this probably a
releftion from another peice of the viewfinder assembly?  I would not have
noticed it had it not been for the "lucky" placement of the point light.
If other M6's do not have this problem then I might with to have this taken
care of but since the camera works fine otherwise I would rather not send
it in.  My CL has a similarly visible /not visible line at the side of the
window but that line is just that a long symetrical line.  The M6 "smudge"
looks just like a half swirl, is not symetrical and appears somewhat
weblike.

An odd question I know but I am very interested in what other peoples
experiences are. Thank you very much for your help,

Robert