Subject: [Leica] First roll of Velvia put thru "brand new" M4...
From: Dieter Stoll <dstoll@tuebingen.netsurf.de>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 19:54:30 +0100

Guys & gals,
guess what I've just been doing -- mounting my first roll of Velvia which I
put through my very recently acquired first Leica -- a 1967 M4 w/ Summicron
2/35 (recent non-ASPH). I am generally very pleased with the slides; a
couple of exposure slip-ups but the fault certainly was all mine ('s been a
while since I last fiddled with a handheld meter, so I'm still way down on
the learning curve). The coveted bokeh (or whatever I believe that is) is
there. I shot most of the roll wide open. There are only two slides that
have me slightly puzzled. It was a shot in thick haze, with the sun just
about making its way through, and straight into the direction of the sun.
There appears to be a noticeable fall-off towards both short (24 mm) edges.
The photo dealer could not offer an explanation. It seems unlikely that
something is wrong with the shutter; other exposures with similarly flat
light distribution appear perfectly uniform all the way. Vignetting by the
hood? Can't believe. Anyway, it does look worse on the light table than it
does on the projection screen.
Thanks for letting me share my excitement with you :-)
Later,
- -- Dieter

Dieter Stoll                  D-72127 Kusterdingen, Germany
dstoll@tuebingen.netsurf.de   Home fax: +49-7071-368520