Subject: [Leica] "Focus" report
From: Simon Ogilvie <simon_ogilvie@ionica.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 15:44:19 -0000

I visited the UK exhibition "Focus" yesterday, and thought I'd pass
on a few Leica-related comments.

For a start, I met up with fellow LUGger Jem Kime, and it was a
pleasure to meet him - his enthusiasm is infectious.  We scoured
the secondhand dealers together for Leica and other interesting
equipment, and I came away with a Russar 20mm and a Pasoptik
viewfinder among other things.  It's a bit of an odd combination - the
viewfinder's bigger than the lens!  I also replaced the Viso 3 I had
been having problems with, and the replacement is in perfect
working order and much better condition than the old one.  I still
don't fully understand what was wrong with the old one, but the
dealer was happy to take it back for a full refund.  I was going to
get rid of the Viso and the 65 Elmar I'd bought for it, but this new
Viso is so much better than the old one, I'm going to give it a
reprieve for a while.

The Leica stand was a disappointment.  After visiting the Canon
stand where they had every EOS lens in current production
mounted on cameras and available for anybody to play with
(including the 1200/5.6), the small Leica stand with everything
behind glass was a bit of an anticlimax.  They did have a few
S1's there, but I'm not overly interested in digital so I didn't take
a lot of notice.  They didn't have a Tri-Elmar on the stand, and
hadn't heard anything about a new ASPH 90 Summicron or any
other new equipment.  There was an M6 0.85, but it was behind
glass so I didn't get the serial number (sorry Frank!).

I asked the Konica people about a new Hexar with interchangeable
lenses, and the reply was that "It won't be available in the UK - it's
probably for the Japanese market only."  I take that to mean that
there *is* going to be a new Hexar, and there's a possibility it
might use the Leica-M mount.  I've asked them to find out what
they can about it for me - we'll see...

The Ricoh stand had the 28mm GR lens for Leica mount, and
it is certainly a nicely made piece.  Whether it's worth paying
twice as much for it as for the GR-1 itself is debatable - the lens
is optically identical.  I guess it's still cheaper than the Leica 28
but I think I'd rather have a "free" camera with it and pay half
the amount.

I had a play with a Contax G2 - both the chrome and black versions.
This was the first time I'd tried them, and whilst they are indeed
nicely
made cameras, there is absolutely no comparison with the M6 in
my opinion.  Someone recently said on the LUG that the G2 is what
an M6E would be if Leica made one.  I can't imagine Leica ever
producing anything like a G2 - it's so totally different from the whole
concept of the M6.  Needles to say, I won't be buying one...

Simon.