Subject: [Leica] Leica in 2000
From: firkin@netconnect.com.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 11:14:08 +1100

G'day all,

I've hung around the LUG long enough now to have seen 2 or 3 incarnations
of the M7 ME threads. I came to Leica RF through the CLE and would have
bought an electronic M if it were available at the time, so it fascinated
me that so many of the "experts" wanted to retain the older camera, when
the first thread erupted. I began to run through the pros/cons of the
concept, and in the end came to the conclusion that though I would use the
technology, it probably would "harm" my creative process, by taking away
the need to think. I became so convinced, that I decided to use mechanical
SLR cameras in place of my ageing Minolta line, so it is a surprize to find
me using an R7 over this weekend ;-)

Yes I've started the change over process, and decided on the R series
Leicas. I bought a 15mm super elmar to replace my 17mm Rokkor, and the
slower, but respected 50 summicron to replace the 1.4 55mm Rokkor. The R7
feels heavier and more solid than my XD7, but in some respects still has a
familiar contour. It even seems to accept the Data back for my XD ;-) So
why.

1. The R8 was going to cost me $1000 more
2. The R8 felt a bit big for this lad who still shops in the ladies
department for gloves
3. I could not reach the winder for the R8 in the shooting position, though
the shutter release fell readily to hand and the shutter seemed quieter and
the travel for the release did not seem quite as "deep". Maybe I'd be
suited by the R8-winder combination.
4. The R7 available was in great "nick", and the R6.2 looked a bit "thrashed"
5. It was pointed out that the R6/6.2 does not have intermediate shutter
speeds, and as such may require one to use the lens a half stop shut down,
and we all know why we pay such a huge price for Leica glass -- to use it
fully open.
6. Helen will have to use the camera, and it will feel like her X700
7. I suppose the SLR really is for "other" use, and perhaps this is a good
spot for a bit of 'techno-wizardry'.

Disadvantages
- - the mirror pre-fire is a bit "silly", but I'll get used to carrying a cable
- - the flash functions may not work as slickly, and I suppose the metering
is a bit older in design

Questions;

1. How do the R7 and R8 calculate fill in flash in outdoor situations? I've
had most success using a manual technique based on distance, and then
setting the flash to half strenght. The little Z2X does a great job of
flash exposure indoors and out. Unlike most flash the exposure is kept a
bit lower, and does not wash out skin tones. Is the fill in flash on the R7
and R8 a success? It is the one bit of technology I would like to use on
really bright Aussie days and find my old techniques a bit slow

2. Flash gun recommendations. I know you have all been through this one,
but I paid scant attention, never realizing that the Leica virus was not
platform dependant and could cross from M to R.

Cheers

Alastair Firkin,