Subject: [Leica] contemplating Leica theft
From: "T. Howard Pollack" <tpollack@cinenet.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 98 12:25:29 -0800

Speaking of Leica theft...

As one enters the halls of the Huge Corporation where I am employed, one
walks through a lengthy gallery of our products, carefully displayed and
spotlighted.  This exhibit shows the history of The Corporation through
the years, displayed in actual hardware, with heavy emphasis on radar
sets for fighters, assorted weapons delivery systems, infrared
night-vision systems for tanks and helicopters, and large mysterious
orbital telescopes for...well, never mind.

Down at the end of this gallery stands a black pedestal with a plexiglass
cover, beneath which resides a lovely minty black Leica M4P (s/n 1650164)
with a 21mm f2.8 lens mounted, and a 135mm nearby.  It looks rather
lonely in there, like it wants to come out and play.  I think it should
be, er... "liberated".

As I walk by, I often imagine myself dangling from the ceiling as if in a
scene from Mission Impossible, screwdriver in my teeth, about to pry open
the plex cover to snatch the goodies inside the case.  Heh heh.  (Hey,
the place is very high security---this is one heist that will definitely
remain a fantasy.  I suppose I will get my first Leica the old-fashioned
way...earn the money and buy it.  Rats.)

You might well ask what a Leica is doing in that display case in the
first place, given my description of the Corporation's other products.
Well, there is definitely a connection (or was at one time, anyway), but
I will leave that unanswered for the moment.  Suffice it to say that The
Corporation is (was) *really* Huge.  (big hint)

- --thp--