Subject: Re: [Leica] red dot blues
From: "Hans Pahlen" <hans@komvux.skola.mark.se>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 11:26:05 +0100

I am an anti-dot guy (strongly):
1) An old black chrome M4 looks much better than a dotted M6, also the
engravings.
2) The red dot can be seen from a long distance, only for the benefit of
dishonest people.

I see the dot only as a marketing gimmick, an idea from some advertising
agency, in order to distinguish the Leica products from others. We are all
walking advertisers.

To be realistic, Solms will never let go of the logo. I am sure people using
the Leica P/S love their dots, and are proud of them too. Some pro users
seem to like them as well, and I can live with that, as long as there is
black tape. (There was a well known Swedish glamour photographer, living in
Stockholm, who glued red dots on his chrome M3:s.)
For me the only purpose of the dot is to signal -Come and get me, I am
expensive. Why help dishonest people, Ted?