Subject: Re: [Leica] 35 f1.4 Aspherical/ASPH/Ein Stuck
From: WILLIAM CALDWELL <sneeker@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 18:18:49 -0500

Frank,

I am enclosing Dan Cardish's definitive post in response to your
inquiry.  Alf Breull's later post also stated that his "Ein Stuck Leica"
instruction booklet for the 35mm f/1.4 Summilux identified the lens as
an one element aspherical (version 2).  There are only the two versions
to my knowledge and according to my written authorities.  Dennis Laney's
Leica Camera and Lens Pocket Book (6th Ed. 1996), at page 75A, shows the
two designs, Version 1 and Version 2.  Those photographs of the two
versions show the exterior differences.   Dan's conclusion that the "Ein
Stuck Leica" 35mm f/1.4 Summilux is the second version is well supported
by the exterior physical characteristics of the "Ein Stuck Leica" lens
barrel, the serial numbers, and the literature.

Best Regards,
Bil Caldwell

Dan's message follows:

I am not sure why everyone seems to be getting all worked up over the
number of concave elements in these lenses.  Perhaps everyone is
filtering
out my comments to the trash, but for those of you still reading:

I have issue 6.94E of Leica Fotographie International in front of me,
where
on page 24 is a diagram of the newer ASPH lens.  I also have in front of
me
a xerox of an article  taken from LeicaView, which announced the
original
'aspherical' version and shows a similar cross-sectional diagram.  BOTH
diagrams look almost identical.  BOTH lenses have fron and rear elements
which dip into the lens (and thus are concave?, I forget the meaning of
convex, concave).   Again, why is this important?  My Minolta 100/2.8
macro
lens has a concave front element.  Big deal!

The older lens has an aspheric surface on the front of the third element
into the lens, counting the outermost, and another one on the rear of
the
second element in from the back of the lens, counting the rear element.

The newer ASPH lens has only one aspherical surface, on the front of the
5th element in from the front of the lens.

I repeat, from visually looking at the lens, the optics will look
identical, apart from the differences in the focusing ring machining and
the name spelled out on the front of the lens.

The Ein Stuck lens is the newer 1 aspheric surface ASPH lens, not the
older
2 aspheric surface 'aspherical' lens.

Can this be any clearer?

SNIP --