Subject: [Leica] Mixed feelings about the Summilux-R 80mm f/1.4
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 22:30:56 +0100

It is now almost six months I am using the Summilux-R 80mm f/1.4 ROM with
my R8. So far, the feelings are mixed.

Positive about the handiness and relative compactness of the lens. It
goes well with the R8 and fits perfectly in my hands. A joy to use. Also,
the viewfinder gives a very bright image, which makes it easier to focus.
This is important as focusing wide-open can be very critical.

Somewhat disappointed about the overall image quality. BAS reports'
diagrams for sharpness and contrast show this should be a very good
performer (except at 1.4), I am not entirely satisfied. My own feeling of
"subjective sharpness" tells me my images are not always as tack-sharp as
I would like them to be. Mind you, I would not call the quality bad. No,
it feels rather good or average. Nothing very Leica about it.
First I thought it was me not focusing precisely enough or shooting at
too slow a speed, but I have tested a few rolls of film (Fuji Reala) to
be sure to rule this out. I used large apertures as well as more average
ones, but my feeling was always the same. The pictures lacked crispness.

This is especially a pity in view of the very high price of this lens. In
terms of image quality, I am beginning to feel as if I should have gone
for the Apo-Macro-Elmarit 100mm instead of the Summilux. I was hesiting
last year when making the choice, but I am slowly starting to regret my
decision.

Anyone having anything to say on this?

Pascal

t h i n k    d i f f e r e n t                 a p p l e