Subject: Re: [Leica] Saving Leica (from Solms)
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 20:33:03 -0600

At 08:24 PM 2/16/98 -0800, you wrote:

>Eric, relax a bit and you'll  be able to recognize sarcasm more

Oh, yeah, that. Sorry, I sometimes do get wrapped up in the serious side of
things. <G>

>at least the Chevrolet driver knows about the Porsche.  Leica is not as
>well known as it should be, and a campaign built around it's historical
>importance and ties to the greats of photo-journalism would only help

Yes, that is right. They should also tie it to the greats of our time.
Wait, they do. I've seen ads with Sebastiao Salgado. Where were they? Leica
Photography? Dang.

>Eric, if you are going to judge Leica's repairs by Nikons or Canon's,
>shouldn't Leica charge Nikon or Canon prices?  Your viewpoint is

Why should Leica charge more? They charge less!

They have to keep the staff (the most expensive part of a repair
department) at tolerable levels. Profit margin probably determines how much
they can spend on that department. I have never had a complaint. Their
service is better than Nikon's and Canons. If you don't believe that, hang
out in Compuserve and the Nikon and Canon forums. You'd think the world
fell apart when the Nikon F5 turned up a battery eating problem in early
models that was simply a software glitch.

>How would you help improve Leica's sales and profitability?

Hey, count the number of people in the past year who were Nikon and Canon
owners who have switched with my help. I can name two on this very list!
<G> Speak up guys!

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke